Lymm 2nd XV 0 – 64 Macclesfield 2nd XV

2nd Team Match Report | Saturday January 20 2024

Battling Lymm 2’s Struggle in Arctic Conditions

On a bright but bitterly cold afternoon at Crouchley Lane met a well drilled Macclesfield 2XV for the first time this season to play the fixture postponed from early December. As the only Macclesfield team to have a game on Saturday, Macc 2XV were able to raise a very strong and competitive side with a full complement of replacements.

Essentially this was a similar team to that which had come within a few points of beating an on form Caldy 2XV the previous week. Unfortunately, Lymm struggled with numbers having to provide players to fill gaps in 1XV and had to put out a call to the Eagles 3XV earlier in the week for support in the forwards. The Eagles were able to provide the services of experienced prop Dave Coon who stepped up to the mark alongside a very youthful 2XV squad.

The match kicked off at 2.30pm and Macclesfield absolutely flew out of the traps to put the Lymm forwards under sustained heavy pressure for the first 5 minutes. Quick ball from a well organised Macc lineout close to the Lymm 5 metre line almost led to a try only denied by a fumbled knock on over the line. Lymm were unable to adequately clear the ball form the resulting scrum and Macc pounced to strip the ball out to the wing to open their account with an unconverted try after 8 mins play (0-5).

The Lymm pack managed to remain very stable in the set pieces and loose play to provide good ball to the half backs. However, Macc seemed to be able to anticipate almost every move and quickly snuffed out their ambitions. In particular, both the opposition wings and full back seemed to have charmed lives by escaping even the best efforts at tackling and another try in the corner appeared on 15 minutes play. The blustery, Baltic wind denied the conversion. (0-10).

For the next 10 minutes, play seemed to settle down in midfield as Lymm appeared to gain more of a measure of their opposition and the ball rarely strayed outside the 22m lines.

Although the Lymm forwards were holding their ground and competing well in the scrums, the Macc scrum half and fly half were lighting quick with their chase tackles so that the ball rarely got out to the Lymm wings. A relatively simple one on one turnover ball on 25 mins provided Macc with the opportunity they needed to sprint 40m straight down the pitch for a converted try under the posts. (0-17). With their tails definitely now in the air, Macc seemed to be able to do little wrong and despite very brave attempts at tackling by all the Lymm backs, Macc were able to run in another converted score under the posts on 30 mins (0-24).

Lymm refused to let their heads drop and did their best to raise their spirits with plenty of vocal encouragement from the sidelines. Unfortunately, almost immediately from the restart kick-off, the ball was deftly fielded by the mercurial Macc full back who effortlessly weaved his way through both sets of players to score under the posts only a minute later (0-31).

Lymm redoubled their efforts to get back into the game, with the emphasis on short passes through safe hands and close support. Unfortunately, a high impact collision and tumble close to the Macc line close to half time left a Lymm back injured and unable to continue. With only a couple of minutes left on the clock to half time, the break in play seemed to disrupt the flow of Lymm’s game.

A long range kick gave a lineout only 10 metres from the Lymm line. Turnover ball from and the overthrow was gathered by the Macc forwards who powered towards the line in a great driving maul and finally crash over for a converted try on the stroke of half time. (0-38).

Half Time: Lymm 0 – 38 Macclesfield

The half time break gave Lymm the opportunity to regain their composure and decide their strategy for the second half. Clearly the strong words from the captain and coach had the desired effect as Lymm’s tackling, communication and co-ordination markedly improved.

For the next 15 or so minutes Lymm were able to compete effectively and successfully repel the repeated barrage of attacks mounted by very confident Macc side. However, this effort could not be sustained indefinitely and a few minutes later another combined wing/full back assault from Macc successfully added another 5 points to the scoreline (0-43).

Unfortunately, about halfway through the second half, another key Lymm player, James (Jando) Anderson had to be carried from the field with a suspected dislocated kneecap.

Lymm now had to dig deep and find the grit and determination to grind out the last quarter of the game. However, their efforts were not helped with the removal of replacement forward Joe Stewart from the field with a suspected concussion, Taran Soni limping badly with a damaged toe, and prop Dave Coon with a remodelled nose from an accidental flying boot.

It was not surprising therefore, that the last 15 minutes was peppered with an increasing number of missed tackles and loose passes as fatigue set in. Unfortunately, this period was also accompanied by another three converted tries from a rampant Macc side to add another 21 points for the visitors. Referee thankfully blew his whistle for full time. (0-64).

Full Time: Lymm 0 – 64 Macclesfield

Lymm 2nd XV now have a well-earned break until their next match against Blackburn on 3rd February 14:15 KO, All most welcome.

Team: 1) Sohail Kakie 2) Hamish Scott-Heron 3) David Coon 4) Quinn Peers 5) Ben Polec 6) Rory Cartlidge 7) Ryan Vanden 8) Taran Soni 9) James Anderson 10) George Anderson 11) Ben Youlden-Cole 12) Alfie Simpson 13) Andy Rowley 14) Luis Dean 15) Will Day REP 16) Ollie Thornton 17) Joe Stewart 18) Jack Pilkington

Match Report: Pete and David Coon



The form was submitted successfully.

You will now be redirected to our payment page.