Lymm 2nds 18 – 12 Sedgley Park 2nds

2nd Team Match Report | Saturday October 16 2021

A warm autumn afternoon, with only a slight breeze, provided perfect conditions for running rugby on Lymm’s impressive AGP.

Lymm kicked off and immediately the big Sedgley forwards started to drive down the field making inroads into Lymm’s defence. Things looked ominous for Lymm but once they started getting into their defensive mode, led by Ben Warman they started to stop Sedgley on the gain line. Lymm then moved up a gear recycling the ball well and stretching the oppositions defence and it was after a good break with Richie McEvoy held on the line that quick ball was obtained and the excellent hands of prop Jordan Widdrington produced a cut out pass to put Oli Roberts in for an unconverted try in the corner. 5 – 0.

Lymm continued to press and almost scored twice more but the final pass didn’t go to hand. Eventually from a penalty kick to the corner Rhys Lilley was driven over from a lineout for another unconverted try. 10 – 0. Lymm’s speed of play had negated the Sedgley power but things changed quickly before half time as two loose kicks and poor chases ended with Sedgley scoring two back to back tries one of which was converted to take the lead. 10 – 12. They began to look dangerous with ball in hand and exposed Lymm out wide a couple of times with only an excellent tackle by Richie McEvoy prevented another score.

HT 10-12

At half time coach Peter Millachip emphasised ball retention and defensive alignment. However it wasn’t easy as the backline suffered two injuries to key players Tom Baker and Richie McEvoy which resulted in forwards coming into the backline.

The second half started and Lymm were soon into their stride playing the game in the Sedgley half and pressurising the opposition into errors with their line speed and defence. They couldn’t break Sedgley defence but were playing the game in the right parts of the pitch. It was after considerable pressure that Lymm were awarded a penalty under the posts which George Anderson converted to take the lead with twenty minutes to go. 13 – 12. Lymm continued to press and nearly scored after a good handling movement but eventually the pressure told as Lymm hammered away at the line and quick hands put John Long, on the wing, in for a unconverted try in the corner. 18 – 12.

Sedgley did have more chance from a five metre scrum and a number of forward drives close to the home line. However, Lymm relieved the pressure with Will Leach leading a break out which went the length of the field, nearly resulting in a further try.

FT 18-12

This was a hard fought victory with Lymm showing great character in the second half considering the changes that had to be made. Their defence was excellent with the back row leading the way, especially Ben Warman whose work rate and ferocious tackling led the way for others. In the loose James Pitcher showed his pace and ability to beat a man on numerous occasions, and Gav Woods as usual put a shift in helping the young players around him.


15) R McEvoy, 14) A Freeman, 13) A Welton, 12) T Baker, 11) O Roberts, 10) W Leach, 9) G Anderson, 8) R Lilley, 7) E Morris, 6) B Warman, 5) G Downes, 4) H Baldwin, 3) J  Widdrington, 2) J Pitcher, 1) G Woods. Reps E Boyce, M Connelly, J Higgins, J Long, J Reynolds.

Match Report: Malcolm Pritchard



The form was submitted successfully.

You will now be redirected to our payment page.