Lymm 41 – 48 Huddersfield

1st Team Match Report | Saturday September 9 2023

Lymm edged out in 12 try thriller

Drink breaks were the order of the day as Lymm welcomed Huddersfield to Beechwood for the second home game in succession as they eased their way into the rigours of the National Leagues. Both sets of players were greeted with sweltering conditions, which were sure to be a test of early season fitness levels. Lymm named an unchanged starting 15 but with a bench strengthened by the return of Matty Hand and Josh Hadland. Huddersfield reported a full-strength team as they adjust to departures and arrivals from the previous season.

The early exchanges saw Lymm in the ascendancy, with scrum half Callum Morris prominent. On 7 minutes Lymm were rewarded for their efforts with a try by Paddy Jennings, which was well crafted by new fly half Jack Reynolds. Cormac Nolan added the extras. On 10 minutes Morris was rewarded for his endeavours with a score of his own, again converted by Nolan to take the score to 14-0.

At this point Huddersfield woke up and began to grow into the game. Failure by Lymm to exit from the kick-off allowed Huddersfield to strike back immediately with a converted try to bring them firmly back into the game. A Huddersfield penalty took the score the 14-10. Lymm retaliated and fly-half Reynolds ghosted through for a great individual score, converted by Nolan to make it 21-10 after a frantic 20 minutes. Lymm then repeated the error following their previous try, allowing Huddersfield to score again almost straight from the kick-off, the conversion taking the score to 21-17. Two further converted tries by Huddersfield before the break made the half-time score 21-31 in the favour of the visitors. For all of Lymm’s first-half efforts. it had been Lymm mistakes and the ruthlessness of the opposition when in the red zone that had proved the difference between the sides.

Half-time Lymm 21 – 31 Huddersfield

The second half started with an exchange of penalties (24-34), before Lymm gained the upper hand, spending much of the next 40-minutes in the Huddersfield half. The Lymm pressure was met with a resolute Huddersfield defence, finally however pressure told and resulted in two yellow cards for the visitors in quick succession. Faced with 13 men for 10 minutes, Lymm were finally able to breach the visitor’s line and tries followed for Andy Williams, following a great long-pass from Morris and a second for winger Jennings, including a Nolan conversion. Lymm were now on top and leading 36-34.

Just as it looked as though Lymm were controlling the game Kian Stewart, the speedy Huddersfield full-back went the full length of the field, without barely a finger being laid on him to make it 36-41. With 10-minutes remaining a red card for Huddersfield, following a dangerous tip tackle, saw Lymm come back again with Williams going over in the corner for his second try. Nolan’s conversion went wide, with the scores locked on 41-41 and 5 minutes remaining, Nolan attempted a penalty, which also went the wrong side of the upright.

As the game approached the end Huddersfield were awarded a penalty of their own. A kick to the corner and a well-executed rolling maul, saw the away team clinch victory with a converted try 41-48.

Full Time: Lymm 41 – 48 Huddersfield

In an entertaining game, which was a credit to the fitness of both sets of players, the ruthlessness of the away side allowed them to hold sway. For the home side, whilst heartbreaking to lose to the last play for the second week running, this was a much-improved performance and a game they could have, should have won. Mistakes, allowing Huddersfield back into the game at crucial times, ultimately proved costly.

Head Coach, Andy Davies commented. It was similar to last week in that we started superbly and went ahead, but then we lost concentration and let Huddersfield back into it.

‘We’re playing some awesome stuff but then just following it up with small mental or skill errors, which teams at this level will take advantage of.

‘It made for another cracker of a game at Crouchley Lane, and fair play to Huddersfield for being so clinical.

‘We’re really not far off and the squad is getting healthier and no better way to pick ourselves up by getting excited for a trip to Clifton Lane and table toppers Rotherham next week’.

A big thank you to our Match Officials. Referee: James O’Brien. Assistant Referees: Steve Halliday & Jonathan Keeton. 4th Official Malcolm Kimber.

Team: 1.Gav Woods (108), 2. James Pitcher (43)*, 3. Ben Thompson (11), 4. James Yates (100)*[C], 5. Ali Sutherland (79), 6. Sean Callender (1), 7. Harry Saxon-Martin (32), 8. Rhys Lilly (32)*, 9. Callum Morris (14), 10. Jack Reynolds (1), 11. Paddy Jennings (27)*, 12. James Kimber *87)*, 13. Steve Pilkington (43)*, 14. Joe Senior (24)*, 15. Cormac Nolan (212)*, 16) Matty Hand (82)*, 17. Joe Higgins (5), 18. Josh Hadland (7)*, 19. Andy Williams (1) *, 20, Tom Shard (111)*.

Match Report: Neil Allen

Left winger Paddy Jennings scoring a try

Right winger Andy williams crossing for his try

Prop Matty Hand in action

Jennings grabbing a brace

Fly half Jack Reynolds’ clever footwork earns him a try

Lymm 2nd XV had a great result against a Level 3 National League 3 club.

Lymm 38 – 38 Sedgley Park


The form was submitted successfully.

You will now be redirected to our payment page.